Carrington Group of Companies is currently looking for a highly experienced Payroll Specialist; the ideal candidate is also well versed in general human resources practices.
The Payroll Specialist will report directly to the Assistant VP of Finance and the CFO and is responsible for multiple financial activities relating to company semi-monthly payroll functions. This position will also assist in HR related matters as required.
Payroll Specialist Qualifications/Experience:
#1 Qualification we are looking for: FULL CYCLE PAYROLL EXPERT!
- Completion of post-secondary education from an accredited institution in accounting, business, or finance is required.
- Certification from the Canadian Payroll Association is preferred.
- Minimum four (4) + years’ experience of payroll experience with a multi-company payroll over 200 employees.
- Completion of courses and/or education in the field of human resources combined with a minimum of two (2) + years’ experience of HR experience is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of payroll systems, internal controls, and management.
- Advanced proficiency with Timberline (Sage) accounting software and payroll programs and applications.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Experience in managing the processing of salaries, bonuses, commissions, and other forms of compensation.
- Advanced knowledge of income tax forms, ROE’s, T4’s, health benefits programs, vacation pay, RRSP, WCB, etc.
- Good knowledge of accounting, journal entries, and bookkeeping experience.
- Must be able to handle confidential information in an ethical and professional manner.
- Must be able to work independently and a self-starter.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- Ability to respond appropriately in pressure situations with a calm and steady demeanour.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
Payroll Specialist Responsibilities:
- Completely responsible for the preparation and administration of payroll for all company employees, while auditing payroll processing reports for accuracy.
- Ensure that all salaries are paid accurately and in a timely fashion to all company employees.
- Prepare journal entries and forms, such as records of employment, income tax forms, and remittances.
- Administration of employee programs (e.g. health benefits, RRSP, vacation tracking system, etc.).
- Administration of all items relating to WCB including employee claims.
- Assist employees with all inquiries arising from questions about payroll.
- Implement salary increases, bonuses, commissions, and so on in accordance with instructions given.
- Maintain detailed records and documentation of payroll functions for audit purposes, in accordance with statutory requirements.
- Maintain records for RRSP and life assurance contributions made by employees; liaise with service providers to ensure funds are transferred as appropriate.
- Monitor holiday and attendance records for business units.
- Collaborate with the HR department and other departments to ensure pay and personnel records are accurate and up to date.
- Assist the Human Resources department as required.
This full-time position is located in south Edmonton, Alberta. Carrington Construction provides competitive compensation, benefits package and RRSP package. Hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
Please submit resume with cover letter and salary expectations, quoting the position title “Payroll Specialist”: firstname.lastname@example.org
We would like to thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
No walk in applications please. No agencies please.