Carrington Construction is seeking an experienced Lead Estimator for multi-family residential construction.
Reporting to the General Manger and the President of Carrington Construction, as the Lead Estimator you will be responsible for supporting Sales, Design, and Construction with information and knowledge of costs and benefits that will support profitable business decisions. You will be responsible for leading a team of two other estimators providing oversight and mentorship on a daily basis.
Multi-Family Residential Lead Estimator Responsibilities:
As the leader of the estimating department you are responsible for:
- Producing accurate cost estimates for a variety of projects at various stages of project development
- Prepare quantity takeoffs using Bluebeam for incorporation into cost estimates
- Completing the estimating required to provide construction budgets to the Project Management team
- Lead the sub-contractor procurement process including;
- Development of trade scope of work, including definitions and assumptions
- Calling for tenders from suppliers and sub-contractors
- Responding to RFI’s and provide clarifications to bidders
- Review and analyze bids and proposals received for accuracy related to cost and scope. Obtain clarifications from bidders, and provide summary for bid comparison.
- Propose changes and value engineering solutions driven from the tendering process.
- Provide support to the Project Manager in the buyout of the project scopes
- Maintaining a list of approved suppliers and sub-trades
- Maintaining cost database, and sustained market awareness regarding current and future pricing trends
- Support Sales by reviewing client requests for customized price quotes based on adjustments to standard plans, specifications, and options and complete retail pricing for final acceptance.
- Manage daily workload of estimating department and team based on predetermined deadlines and known daily tasks.
- Support Design through providing conceptual cost estimates and assessment of project design options, alternate assemblies or layouts
Multi-Family Residential Lead Estimator Qualifications & Experience:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Building, Construction Management, Architectural Technologies, Quantity Surveying or equivalent from a recognized technical institute.
- Must have 5 + years of commercial construction and/or multi-family construction experience with a minimum of 3 years estimating experience for commercial/multi-family residential construction in Alberta, ideally in a fast paced production builder environment. Multi-family experience being specifically mid-rise wood frame construction.
- Expert working knowledge of Excel, and Bluebeam. Experience with MS Project is considered an asset. Ability to quickly learn how to navigate new software platforms is important.
- Experience estimating mid-rise wood framed multi-family construction including below grade parkade structures, is strongly desired.
- Experience with multi-story non-combustible building construction, tenant improvements and assisted living facilities is considered an asset.
Multi-Family Residential Lead Estimator Essential Requirements:
- Must have general construction knowledge; understand construction materials and methods related to all scopes, systems and components necessary for the construction of a mid-rise multi-family project.
- Excellent working knowledge of the Alberta Building Codes.
- Capable of interpreting consultant drawings and specifications including architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical, civil and landscaping disciplines.
- Must be able to interpret component and/or shop drawings with in conjunction with contract documents.
- Mathematical skills and analytical skills necessary to do material and labour estimates
- Effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills with proven ability to work with a diverse group and personalities.
- Proven planning, communication, organizing, analytical decision making and negotiating skills.
- Experience with procurement and purchasing is considered an asset.
- Experience with preparation of proposals for Stipulated Price, Design-Build and Construction/Project Management projects considered an asset.
- A valid driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract.
- Strong adaptability to ever changing workload demands is required.
As our ideal candidate, you are…
- Organized; effective manager of you and your teams time in order to meet deadlines
- Self-motivated and passionate about the quality of the work you produce
- Detail oriented; focused on accuracy of your work
- A team player; flexible and adaptable to different work styles and changing priorities
- Creative; in your approach to problem solving using logic and adapting available information to support your conclusion
This full-time, in office, position is located in Edmonton, Alberta. Carrington Construction provides a competitive compensation, benefits and RRSP package. Business Hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
Please submit resume with cover letter and salary expectations, quoting the position title “Multi-Family Residential Lead Estimator”: email@example.com
We would like to thank all applicants; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.